Sunday, October 22, 2017

A Morning On the Trails

A Morning On The Trails


When Fall comes it brings with some of the best running weather. Cooler temperatures, beautiful Fall colors, and the opportunity to run at all points of the day. This morning I had the opportunity to go trail running with a group as part of a plan to improve my running form. No matter where we are in running journey there is always something to work on. As frustrating as that thought can be some days, it is nice to think that we can always improve and continue to learn and grow. Maybe that also provides another thread of connection in the running community.



As part of the group this morning there were all skill levels, endurance levels, and even those coming back from injury. It meant that we all could approach the trail run to suit our own needs and goals but in the end come back together and still enjoy the company.

To be honest, I had not been trail running in years, but I vividly remember my strong ability to eat it on the trails. Even knowing that I was looking forward to the run. The first part of the run was straight up because why not start with a good uphill run? The beauty of trail running though is knowing that hiking is apart of the day. It is necessary to let go of ego and understand that the wisdom behind walking.

The run then took us down hill into trails lined with trees. We could not see what was around the next turn but that made it all the better. Running in the moment not worrying about the miles or the time just getting lost in the run itself. Until yours truly bit it scraping up my knee. Even then that didn't stop me from enjoying the joy and freedom of running out in the open with a group of wonderful people.

There was no sense of needing to make a certain time per mile so we enjoyed the opportunity to look at views, take pictures, and stop at trail heads to make sure we were all together. One of the joys of being in the running community is that we care for each other even if we don't know each other well. I will tell you a story one day about how things has showed up many times.

When the run was over it was all smiles. Everyone had a good time and I was reminded of how great trail running was for strengthening muscles something I know I need to make my running more efficient.

Runner's World published an article entitled 21 Quick Trail Running Tips if you to would like to join me out on the trails. Fair warning, you might find it addicting. Just in case you need a reason to try trail running Active can give you 5 Reasons to Try Trailing Running.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Motivational Monday 12/25