Thursday, December 7, 2017

Love Your Training and Racing Gear

Love Your Training and Racing Gear


When I was at my one of races another runner made a comment to me that made me think. Her comment focused on all the gear that goes into training and racing. She thought when she first started running, just like myself, that all you needed was a good pair of running shoes. Yes you do need a good pair of running shoes. It is super important to have that solid pair shoes that are fit properly. This post isn't going to focus on that topic, but I would remiss if I didn't acknowledge and provide a couple of resources.

How to Buy the Right Running Shoes by Runner's World
Running 101: How to Select the Best Pair of Running Shoes by Competitor Running

There are many resources out there about finding good running shoes and the best thing you can do is go to a local running store and have your shoes fit rather then ordering without trying the shoes. I acknowledge I am not expert but this I am 100% confident in saying.

Thank you for the reading the side tangent but now to the point - the other gear that sports our racing and training. To be completely honest I sometimes take all my other gear for granite because I mindlessly grab it when I get ready to head out the door. It is always there and I know that I need it. But that is the point of the gear that it is always there for you making sure that you have what you need to be successful.

Let me use an example of one of my favorite pieces of gear from Orange Mud. In the spirit of being congruent with my past post about being a discerning reader I am disclosing that I have a bias for supporting local companies. With that said the product still has to be a quality product. My favorite way to stay hydrated during my runs is Orange Mud's HydraQuiver Double Barrel Hydration Pack. This hydration pack was my go to while I was training for my Ironman and for the Boston Marathon. For me this pack worked so well because I could have a good amount of water and my Skratch mix versus having to pick one to have in a more traditional hydration system. The added bonus was that I could also have my Huma gels easily accessible on the straps while still having storage for my keys, phone, jacket etc..

After all the miles and time that I spent training my Double Barrel Hydration Pack held up fantastically and it is still going strong. It made it so easy for me to have all my supplies with me without having to worry about refueling as often which meant I had more time to stay focused. As previously mentioned, I took that for granite, but since that comment I don't think I will be taking my hydration for system for granite anymore especially with what I have in store for next season!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Motivational Monday 12/25