Sunday, December 3, 2017

Rudolph Ramble 2017

Rudolph Ramble 2017



How often do you have the opportunity to say that you saved Christmas by helping to find Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer?

Well the Rudolph Ramble gave me just that opportunity this year. Denver is one of Rudolph's favorite places and he was seen rambling around the city again this year. Sadly, he was not answering his Claus North Pole version red nose 1 cell phone so Santa sent out an email asking for help rounding him up in time to make sure all the prep work is done in time for Christmas. Santa Claus had received good elf intelligence that Rudolph had intentions of hanging around his namesake event.

Sure enough Rudolph and Santa both showed up to one of the most festive 5k running racing. All of us racers were graced with beautiful running weather which made spotting Rudolph all that much easier and Santa helped kick off the start of the race bringing smiles to racers of all ages.

This race kicks of the Run Denver Series timed and produced respectively by Hal Sports and BKB Limited. They not only do a fabulous job with making their events fun and exciting but also inviting for everyone whether you are out there for a PR or to just enjoy the event. Each and every participant is cared for out there.

My race was not one of my best races, but I can say that I still had a good time and was reminded of something important. I am still working through an injury. I thought after taking 5 days from doing anything over the holidays would help and by the end of the holidays I was feeling good. I was walking without limping and felt good enough to cycle and hit some yoga classes. But this weekend showed me that whatever I had done is not fully better. This race was painful. One of my friends who ran the race with me told me afterwards that she noticed my limp. Not a good sign. But....

Instead of worrying about my not so fantastic time I remembered to stop and enjoy the race environment. A running race is so much more then just the race. Each race is a chance to be with the local running community and be inspired and encouraged. Races are also a chance to be the one who encourages someone. There are vendors there giving away free samples and there are ample opportunities for photo ops. Plus, depending on the race, there are other activities to take part in and in the case of this race there was face painting!

I know for myself I sometimes get lost in worrying about my race and forget to enjoy the whole experience. For the Rudolph Ramble this year I remembered. So maybe this injury was a blessing in disguise. Timed just to make sure that I have the opportunity to enjoy all that the Christmas season has to offer rather then letting it race by. No pun intended.

And I can say that this year I helped save Christmas. Not a bad weekend at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Motivational Monday 12/25