Saturday, December 9, 2017

Reflection on Priorities

Reflection on Priorities


The final month of the year is hear and a new year will shortly be upon us. That means my attention will shortly be shifting to thinking more about the beginnings of training for the next race season. In that spirit I was reflecting on my off season training and thinking about my dream upcoming race season. The off season is such an individualized experience and reflects what you hope to accomplish in the next racing season. So this started me thinking about how the off season cannot only reflect what you want for next season but also reflect your priorities as well.

I might be making a generalization when I write that we all sacrifice something during the training and racing season to accomplish our goals. Sometimes what is sacrificed we consciously know, but I would argue that sometimes there are things that are sacrificed unconsciously. So during the off season maybe there is time and space to take both back.

For myself I put my heart and soul into my racing and training. Not only is it my chance to raise funds for organizations that I love, but it also a place for me to find stress relief and to really dig down and find out what I am truly capable of.  It is a conscious choice that I make to make my training and racing a priority. In doing so I knowingly give up time with my family and friends. I miss events because I have a 70 mile ride that I need to knock out. I spend money that could go to things like travel or savings to make sure that I have training supplies for the season. Unconsciously though, I think I sacrifice making other things priorities and sometimes the small details fall through the cracks. Which for me is hard because I pride myself on being detail oriented and being a good friend and family member. So while I consciously know I am missing time with people what I unconsciously give up is the connection and the support that I can provide and that I receive.

I am not saying that making choices and sacrifices is a bad thing. It is how we go about making the choices. Do we go into unknowingly or with eyes wide open?

So during the off season we have choices to make as well. I love the off season because I do feel like I have the space to make choices that align with my priorities - my family and friends. So during the holiday season I am going to indulge in what the holidays have to offer and spend time with family. Don't worry training will be in there as well, but it will fit into my life a little differently.

Bring on the eggnog and cheers to family and friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Motivational Monday 12/25