Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Can't Do It All

Can't Do It All

One of the best investments that someone can make is having a coach. I don't know if I would have made it through my Ironman without my coach. She makes sure that I don't do anything stupid and keeps me in line. While I so much appreciate my coach and her keeping me in line there are some days I wish I could do it all. 

Endurance events are my favorite and I love just being able to get out there and go. But for the upcoming racing session I told my coach that I wanted to work on being faster and try to be competitive. However, I also have a couple marathons that I would like to do in the Spring that comes with the bonus of seeing my family. These marathons though when looking at the whole race schedule conflict with the goal of wanting to go faster in my 70.3 races.

What do you do when everything you want to do conflicts with each other?

For me it came down to priorities. Out of all the goals and races I had to pick what means more to me. My A races are my two 70.3 races because at the end of the day I see myself more as a triathlete and have stronger goals in that area. Plus I am dedicated to supporting the Fetal Health Foundation! I love that piece of why I race - raising funds and awareness for fantastic organizations!

But remember that opening sentence of this blog post - a coach being a good investment. While this continues to be true because while my coach pointed out this original conflict between the marathons and the later triathlons she also helped me work through it and find a middle ground. She was able to work through the racing schedule with me to make sure I work towards my 70.3 goals but am also able to enjoy my early running season and be with my family. Instead of running three marathons, I will be racing one and the others will be half marathons. So while this isn't want I had originally pictured in the end I know that my coach was keeping my best interests in mind. She is keeping me safe!

Maybe a perspective shift is needed on my part. I can have it all it! The pieces just look a little different when put together for the better. I won't be hurting myself before my racing session really takes off and that is a win!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Motivational Monday 12/25